Monday, May 14, 2012

Detours

This morning I drove to a trail head to go for a run.  The sun was shining and the views of the valley were breathtaking.  After a nice run, I got back to my car and decided I was going to drive a different way to get home.  I love driving that way so I was excited to see the familiar homes and scenery.  Driving, driving, when all of a sudden around the corner, orange signs!  "Road Closed" and "Detour" - arrow pointing left.

Okay so a detour.  I can handle that.  Well, the signs kept leading me away and there was even a sketchy part of the road that I was a little nervous about, a dip with heaps of loose rocks!  I navigated it quite nicely and continued on my way.  While the area was unfamiliar, I felt okay because I knew the detour signs would lead me back to the road that would lead me back to my apartment.

As I was driving, I realized that my life is like this!  I've had this idea in my mind of how I think my life should be.  When all of a sudden, the road ahead of me is closed and I'm on my way into unfamiliar circumstances.  But the Lord has placed detour signs for me along the way.  So even though I might be on a different road than what I had imagined, the fact is that as long as I follow those detour signs I will get back to where I'm ultimately heading - back to my Father in Heaven. 

The detour was even kind of nice - I spotted some adorable little houses and had more time to appreciate the new surroundings.  So it might have taken me a bit longer to get home and I didn't get to see all that I had expected, but nonetheless, it was a great adventure!

And in the end, I still ended up safe, back in my apartment!

*Good Song: Dancing Away With My Heart by Lady Antebellum
*Good Movie: The Avengers

No comments:

Post a Comment