Saturday, January 5, 2013

Les Miserables!

Okay, so I'm kind of obsessed.

Yeah I am.

With Les Miserables!

I just finished the book and it was INCREDIBLE!  Despite all the random tangents that dear Victor Hugo goes on, it was absolutely fantastic!  And I've already seen the movie...twice!  I just love it!

My best friend Brittany and I were talking about how Les Mis is so good because there's a character that anyone can connect with...whether it's Jean Valjean seeking forgiveness, Fantine whose life didn't go the way she'd imagined it would, Javert who can't let go of the past, Eponine who loves somebody that will never love her back, Marius who struggles to find out who he is and how to get what he wants, Enjolras who's completely filled with a passion that he's willing to fight for, or Gavroche who is seemingly fearless!  The whole story is about love and redemption and forgiveness!  And it's a beautiful one! 

I think that we can connect with different characters at different times in our lives.  Who hasn't made a mistake and wanted to feel peace from it?  I think Jean Valjean is a great example of the struggle we have to forgive ourselves.  Who hasn't been in love with somebody they couldn't have?  Who hasn't struggled to find their place in the world?  I think that's why Les Mis is such a classic story, because it's a universal one that we can all relate to in one aspect or another.

So there's my little rant on Les Mis and why I think it's so great. 

Not to mention Marius (Eddie Redmayne) and Enjolras (Aaron Tveit) from the movie - incredibly attractive and incredibly good singers!  And they're shooting muskets...I am an American!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment